Sunday, April 30, 2006

 

GUMMER GEAR Diary (April 29, 2006)

A daily log of how useful Gummer Gear can be
by C.Martin



Saturday turned out to be a Leatherman day, as my WAVE came in handy declogging a can of spray foam insulation. You know the stuff- it comes in a can, sprayed out a long plastic tube outlet, to fill gaps and crevices in your home. The foam expands a great deal and hardens to a styrofoam-like consistency.

So I was in the kitchen, making a sandwhich when I looked outside and observed my snakelight laying on the ground in the rain- I had used it the day prior to work on my riding lawn mower. Curse my forgetfulness.

I go outside and there on the carport I see a slow moving bee. It flies lazily up to a window to the kitchen and disappears under the brick sill. I bend over for a closer look and see the little bastard crawling into a hole in the mortar. A little nest in the wall under my kitchen window. Great.

Then I remember the can of spray foam I used in the fall. Sure enough I locate it, but the foam in the tube and can nozzle has dried and hardened- kind of like spray cheese has a tendency to do.

But what is small enough to pick out the clog of foam in the nozzle? Then I remember the eyeglasses screwdriver built in to my WAVE. Sure enough, it easily fits in the nozzle and with a little scraping, out comes the hardened foam plug.

In no time at all, I'm shooting some foam into the crevices of the brick, sealing those little bee bastards in for all eternity. Or at least until I do that room addition I've talked about and have to tear the wall out anyway.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?