Wednesday, May 17, 2006

 

Gummer Gear Diary (May 14-17)

by C.Martin
Sunday, the 14th went pretty well for the old Multitool. After staying up until 1 AM working on a mother's day present for the missus, I was pretty tired. But when the bracelet my daughter and I made for her was too big, my Leatherman Wave sprang to the rescue!
The needle nose pliers on the Leatherman easily removed small steel rings, allowing me to make the bracelet smaller, without restringing it.
Monday, the 15th was a hectic day at work. The Wave came in handy as a pocket knife a few times and that was about it. Okay, you want specifics? I had to open a pack of M&Ms and decided to use the blade on the Wave to do it. I know- overkill.
Tuesday, the 16th was markedly different.
There I was, at an accident site, trying to measure the distance across a small pond; two underage drinkers had raced down a street, across a field, then gone airborne across a small pond in their mini-Cooper. Their Dukes of Hazzard flight was then suddenly stopped by a tree. One ended up dying.
So there I was, trying to figure out how to sling a tape measure across the pond to measure the width of it. Finally, I used my Swiss Tech Microtool to weight the end of the tape- it's designed to clip onto your keyring when not in use, so attaching to the tape measure was easy. This small amount of weight was plenty to allow me to grapple the tape measure across the pond.
But first, I had to trim several small saplings out of the way- to clear a hole in the dense brush growing. Luckily, the Wave comes with a pretty darned good saw. In just a few minutes I'd cleared a decent hole. Six tries later and the tape measure was across to my partner, who held his end.
The pond was 37 feet across.
Finally, Wednesday, the 17th has proven rather uneventful. In fact, I don't think my Leatherman has left it's belt pouch all day! I'm about to clean the basement, so maybe I'll come across something needing fixing or something. Maybe I was wrong about using the Leatherman EVERY day...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?