Friday, May 05, 2006

 

Gummer Gear Diary (May 5, 2006)

by C.Martin


Another slow gadget day. The old Leatherman Wave again came in handy as a staple remover at work.

I might have gotten more use out of my Wave at work, but I ended up going home early. Instead of doing yard work when I got home- which again might have afforded some opportunities to use the Wave- I decided to play a computer game.

So there I am, playing Call of Duty 2, happily blowing away virtual nazis. During a long level-loading pause, I happened to glance up and saw something. My fileting knife. There it was, hung from a nail in the ceiling of my partially finished basement, safely out of reach of my child. Man, it's been a while since I went fishing.

Inspiration suddenly struck me.

Down came the filet knife and out came my diamond sharpening stone. As the level continued to load, I began to hone the filet knife to a like-new razor sharpness.

Once I had the knife as sharp as the coarse stone could get it, I realized I needed a fine stone as well. And I had one- sort of.

On the Wave there is a great file. Diamond-coated on one side. And, sure enough, it works as a great knife sharpener on softer metals. Like my filet knife.

After a few quick passes, my filet knife was once again ready for a fishing trip, and I now know what to do the next time I'm gutting fish in the field and the Wave gets a little dull.


Now if only Call of Duty 2 had knives to cut up those virtual nazis with.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?