Saturday, May 06, 2006

 

Gummer Gear Diary (May 6, 2006)

by C.Martin


Derby Day was upon us, but, not being an avid fan of running horses, I decided to use the day for other purposes. Like building a shelf for my wife.

So I trucked on down to Home Depot, selected a 1X10 and 2 2X2s. Of course, to get them in the car, I'd need to get them cut in half (which was okay, as I would cut them in half at home, anyway).

So I waited. And waited. And waited.

No one was coming to the cutting center.

I had my 6 yr old daughter with me- who was getting antsy as our next stop was the local comic book shop for Free Comic Book day.

Finally, I decided, "to hell with them", and headed for a register. When I got to my Toyota Camry, I then whipped out my trusty Leatherman Wave, and opened the lethal saw blade. In no time at all my boards were cut and stowed in the back seat.

Another victory for the Wave.

But the day's Wave activities didn't stop there.

Later, my wife came home from shopping and presented my daughter with new shoes. I of course was asked to remove the plastic and elastic bands from them. Again, Wave saved the day. Instead of getting up to get scissors, I got my Wave off my belt and used the scissors tool to separate the shoes, thus preventing myself from having to pause the Digitally Recorded episode of Dr. Who I was watching from this past friday night.

And, just moments ago, more of my Gummer gear came to the rescue.

For almost two weeks now, I have been battling a mysterious, loud squeak in the dryer. I've replaced several parts- using my Wave as part of my tools. The squeak just won't go away though, so moments ago I had my micro flashlight out, peering inside the dryer as it ran. Finally, I've figured out it's the drum glides- something I replaced about six months ago. Perhaps the drum needs to be polished where it rides on the glides- I'm not sure, but when I do tear the dryer apart again, my Wave and flashlight wil be at my side.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?